The Basics Of SEO
Here are a few very basic SEO principles that every website owner should be following if they want to see their website do well in the search engines. You can also take a look at our on page SEO guide which goes through various points that an ideal web page would adhere to.
1) Write your site for users, not search engines. I cannot stress how important this is. You want the text to flow and for it to be easy to read for your visitors. What you definitely don’t want to do is use the keywords or phrases you would like to rank for too many times in the hope that it will increase your rankings. If you do, it is likely to have an adverse effect on your website’s rankings and it will frustrate your visitors.
2) Make all of your pages as descriptive and as useful as they can be. And while it may sound obvious to most people, use real text on your pages rather than images of text. I worked with someone a few years ago and when I first started work on his website, there wasn’t a single word of text. He had just taken screen shots from Microsoft Word and pasted them onto his website as images.
3) Use descriptive title tags for every page you create. Title tags are one of many relevancy signals that search engines use and they’re also the blue links that users will click on to land on your website from a search engine.
4) Following on from point 3, make sure that each page has a relevant and descriptive meta description. Not only are meta descriptions another ranking factor used by search engine algorithms, but they’re often the snippet of text that the search engines will display in the search results.
5) Use clean and descriptive URLs. For example, this page that you’re reading now is about the basics of SEO, so the URL iswhich is much better than using something like
6) Make sure that your website has an easy to use navigation system and that finding information within your website will not frustrate users.
7) Scale your images to the size you want, then upload them to your website.
Just following these few simple steps will set your website in good stead and give it a better chance of doing well in the search engines. Needless to say, we apply everything above to every website that we work with and that’s one of the reasons why you should choose us as your SEO company. Also, now that you’ve read the basics, it may interest you to read about what you need to avoid when doing SEO.